Remembrance Sunday this year falls on Armistice Day. Which also happens to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War.
There is a motto: Lest we forget. Here’s a reminder of a few men who paid the ultimate price in the two World Wars. With great respect for all those killed on active service between 1918 and 1945, or in the decades since.
First World War
- Septimus Hargreaves Bond. Born 1877. Died (presumed) 9 August 1915, Gallipoli, Turkey. Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 6th Battalion.
- Trooper Daniel Middlemiss. Born 1895. Died 28 August 1915, Gallipoli, Turkey. Canterbury Mounted Rifles, NZEF.
- Second Lieutenant Henry Lowther Holliday. Born 1893. Died 15 December 1917, Greece. Border Regiment.
- Private Dixon Hetherington. Born about 1896. Died 25 September 25 1915, France. Border Regiment.
- Private William Park Hetherington. Born about 1893. Died 27 September 1916, France. Border Regiment.
- Private Thomas William Hetherington. Born 1886. Died 23 August 1916, Somme, France. Gordon Highlanders.
- Thomas William Hetherington. Born about 1886. Died 1 July 1916, Somme, France. Border Regiment.
- Trooper George Boustead Robinson. Born about 1895. Died 2 September 1916, Somme, France. 1st Lifeguards.
- Private Hugh Coulston. Born 1890. Died 23 March 1918, Somme, France. Northumberland Fusiliers.
- Second Lieutenant John Heskett. Born 1898. Died 15 April 1918, No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station, Choques. France.
- Lance Corporal Edward Stevenson. Born about 1883. Died 15 October 1916, France. London Regiment.
- Private Joseph Marrs. Born about 1883. Died 21 August 1918, France. Cheshire Regiment.
- Alfred James Harris. Born about 1888. Died 7 May 1915, Ypres. York & Lancaster Regiment.
- Private Peregrine Fernie Cannon. Born 1895. Died 6 October 1916, France. Royal Fusiliers.
- Private James Crombleholme. Born 1892. Died 30 August 1918, France. Manchester Regiment.
- Captain Charles Edward Barnett. 9th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment. Killed in action 1 October 1915, France.
- Private Frank Balmer. Born 1895. Died 10 April 1918 Flanders. 8th Battalion, Border Regiment.
- Private Joseph Troughear. Born 1896. Died of wounds 13 April 1917. France. 14 Res Battery London Regt (London Scottish). Private 513254Second Lieutenant John Robert Thomlinson. Born about 1891. Died 8 August, 1918, France. 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen’s Bays).
- Private William Dawes. 34266, 8th Bn., Border Regiment died age 21 on 05 October 1918, France.
- Private Albert George Johnson. Born about 1898. Died 7 June 1917. 684293, No. 1 Coy. 2nd Bn., London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers). Died Belgium.
- Private James Horace Lord, 25092, 2nd/4th Bn., East Lancashire Regiment. Died age 26 on 12 January 1918. Belgium.
- Sergeant Alexander Campbell Larnach. Born 1896. Died 12 April 1918. Royal Scots Fusiliers. Died in Belgium.
- Second Lieutenant Charles Martin Pears. Born 1898. Died 23 November 1917. Royal Flying Corps.
- Private Vickers Vipond Swindle. Born 1895. Died 16 August 1917. 1st/4th Battalion of the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry. Died in Belgium.
- Arthur Harrington Pears Born about 1887. Died 29 September 1915, Alexandria, Egypt. Australian Infantry.
- Private Herbert Cowburn Ruthven. Died 15 June 1915. Vimy, France. 1st Battalion, Canadian Infantry.
Second World War
- Lieutenant Robert Hugh Coulston. Born 1920. Died 23 September 1944 Arnhem, Holland. 1st (Airborne) Battallion, Border Regiment.
- Lance Corporal William Walter Coulston. Born about 1906. Died 31 December 1939, Brittany. Royal Engineers.
- Flight Sergeant Horace Paige Clapperton. Born 1910. Died 25 June 1941. 239 Squadron.
- Flight Sergeant Kenneth William Clapperton. Born 1925. Died 22 March 1945. Shot down, Germany. 207 Squadron.
- Chief Petty Officer Caleb Dixon Septimus Brough. Born about 1906. Died at sea 10 December 1941. Telegraphist. HMS Neptune.
- Group Captain John Francis Tufnell Barrett DSO, DFC and bar. Born 1898. Died 3 September 1941, over Berlin.
- Corporal Donald Joseph Grant. Born 1920. Died 11 October 1942, Shanghai, China. Royal Engineers.
- Pilot Officer Conrad Larnach (navigator). Born about 1921. Plane shot down France, 5 August 1943.
- Lieutenant John Pears Carruthers. Born 1898. Died on war service (Royal Army Service Corps – ex-Royal Artilley in WWI, then RAF) 15 November 1943.
- Leading Aircraftman Frank Houghton Clementson. Born 1922. Died 12 December 1945, Sri Lanka.
- Gunner Ronald Foster. Born about 1913. Wounded 25 May 1940 during retreat to Dunkirk. Died UK 2 February 1941, of wounds. Royal Artillery.
I hope the Royal British Legion will forgive my use of their image. Borrowed from here: https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/how-we-remember/the-story-of-the-poppy/